SURVIVE the event
THRIVE in the aftermath
- 5 Discrete Segments
- Downloadable Info & Worksheets
- Watch Any Time & As Often As You Like
These are the essential ingredients to your survival. Stay out of relief lines with your secure food and water supply, and family-safety plan.
- Water storage and emergency purification
- Determining your family's calorie needs
- Stocking a disaster pantry
- Keeping the kids feeling safe and secure
- Planning for your pets
Follow these simple steps to secure your home before the event and to clean up your property—safely—once the storm has passed.
- Tornado survival
- Deadly tree threats
- Wildfire escape plan
- 10 essential tools and why you need them
It's the king of the cleanup tools, but you need to follow the advice of our guest chain-saw expert, Mark Chisholm, to learn how to use this critical power tool safely and effectively.
- Threat assessment
- Essential gear and why you need it
- Learning the key cuts
- Step-by-step takedown of a tree felled by superstorm Sandy
About the instructor
John Galvin covers natural and man-made disasters for Popular Mechanics and is the author of the magazine's "Survive Anything" cover story. His home and family have weathered three major disasters in the past three years. Join John and his crew of experts as they help you prepare before disaster strikes.
Former Green Beret medic
and combat commander
Director, Good Housekeeping
Chain-saw safety expert
and ISA-certified arborist
Senior home editor